Simple Swaps on CTV'S Wheatland Café
Check out the clip below!
And yes! This applies to delicious snacks such as Pumpkin Muffins!
In this recipe, we swap out sugar for applesauce, white flour for whole wheat and canola oil for coconut oil. This means that without sacrificing the taste, you're already getting way more nutrients than in a traditional muffin recipe... with way less guilt!
Simple Swaps Pumpkin Muffins Recipe
- 1 cup whole wheat flour or gluten-free flour blend
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup crushed walnuts
- 12 whole walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine all dry ingredients and mix well.
- Beat or whisk eggs in a separate bowl. Add remainder of liquid ingredients and blend well.
- Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients. Whisk just until mixed.
- Fold in crushed walnuts.
- Line the muffin tin with muffin liners or brush with coconut oil.
- Scoop batter into muffin tins. Add a whole walnut on top of each muffin.
- Bake for 20 min.
- Add raisins, dried cranberries, coconut, etc.
- Pumpkins seeds can be used instead of walnuts.
You can download a printable version of this recipe by clicking here.